Sunday, March 21, 2010

Weekly News

This week in Math students will be working on "percent of" problems. There are three different formats that students will learn (35% of 13 is what?, 45% of what is 24?, and what percent of 87 is 12? are three examples -- 1 for each format). Students will spend 3 days working on these 3 formats before having a review at the end of the week and a BINGO game to practice all 3 formats. As a heads-up, students will have a unit test next week reviewing all decimal operations, story problems, estimating in story problems, sales tax, tip, and discount, AND percent of. Now would be a great time to start reviewing.

In Science students will be working on the idea of convection and conduction. Also, we will use a computer simulation to look at plate tectonics, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. to help visualize how all this happens. Also, we will anticipate the Plate Tectonics Unit test for next week also! Based off of the quiz we had last week, some of you may want to start reviewing now to remember all of the information you have learned so far!

In Advisory students will continue using their class time looking through their books and on the computer for information for their MATH and SCIENCE portions. Remember, both of these sections are due on March 31 (in final copy form) in order to go to Wayne State and the library on April 1st. I also told the students that whoever emailed me their math graphs by this Friday (March 26th), I would print out for them (in color!). Please take advantage of this if color printing is not available to you!

Another reminder -- there will be an Honors Assembly for 2nd trimester on Tuesday, March 23rd from 9-10am in the school gym. We will award students who received above a 95% in academic classes, had excellent citizenship, showed improvement in an academic subject, and/or had perfect attendance. Feel free to join us -- especially if your child is receiving a certificate (notes were sent home last week for those students receiving awards!)

7 comments:

  1. Mrs.Perez method 3 is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you think so Khaila -- although I'd have to say that all three seem pretty easy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyy Mrs.Perez I was just saying hi. Right now I am working on my science part whenI am finish with it I will send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs.Perez When you are finish looking at the graphs may you send all four graphs back to me so I can copy it into my powerpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs.Perez is it ok if I do my Science part in a power point form because I was doing a power point slash talk show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trinity, I emailed them back to you and made a few suggestions.

    Khaila, that sounds fine. You can present your information however you would like. Even Oprah sometimes uses a screen with information on it (like a powerpoint)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Great I just sent you the power point and I made corrections on my Other Graph so am I all set?

    ReplyDelete