Sunday, February 7, 2010

Weekly News

Only 5 more days until Mid-Winter Break, but it will be a busy 5 days!

In Math we will continue our study of decimals by using estimation to see if our exact answer is reasonable, as well as starting our study with story problems. Since we worked so hard with story problems for decimals, I think this will be easier for everyone. We'll see!!

In Science we will continue discussing plate tectonics and how the things on the inside of the earth affect the outside. On Monday, we will finish up our discussion on nuclear waste being stored at Yucca Mountain in Nevada. For the rest of the week, we will study volcanoes, which I know everyone is excited about!

In Advisory this is a very important week because students need 13 projects to be turned in, in order to attend the exciting Valentine's Day dance on Friday. I have advised the students not to buy a ticket until they get the "all clear" from me, so they don't miss out by buying a ticket and not being able to go. The following must be turned in by Wednesday (please recall that all of these items have been due in previous weeks, but some students had to redo some of them -- only 2 items (the last two) are new from last week!)
  • 4 math graphs
  • 3 currency problems
  • 3 animals with explanations/fun facts about the animals
  • 3 plants/flowers with explanations/fun facts about the plants/flowers
  • Paragraph of climate of the country
  • 10 words/phrases in the other country's language
  • Map (with major cities identified)
  • Flag (with meanings of the colors and symbols)
  • 2 holidays (indicating what is special about that holiday/traditions of the country)
  • 2 historical events (listing why it was important)
  • Government (including the leader, type of government, and 3 unique laws the country has)
  • Math academics -- 2 fraction problems (one basic problem, one story problem/solve for the unknown)
  • Science academics -- Where would you build? (based on seaside cliff, delta marsh, or green hill -- 1 page report as well as a visual aid)
The only thing not required to be done yet are the 3 personal qualities topics that the students have chosen themselves. This will be required to be turned in the Monday we return from Mid-Winter break, so that means at this point, they have 2 weeks to get it done!

Parents, please expect a letter to come home about the exhibition dates and times. Again, it is first come, first serve. You may respond under this post, once you get the form Monday if you would like and I can confirm with you that way.

I'll see everyone tomorrow!!

15 comments:

  1. Mrs.perez im done with all of my exhibition topics including all of the three personal qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs.Perez the times my mom has chosen was the following March 1 at 2:15
    March 2 at 2:15 and lastly March 3 at 2:15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job Christina! We missed you today -- hope to see you tomorrow.

    Trinity, I have you confirmed for March 1 at 2:15 okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i want march 5 @ 2:15

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1#I want march 5 @ 2:15
    2#I want march 4 @ 2:15
    3#I want march 3 @ 2:15

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mrs.perez I have all of my science material in order to go to the dance but the visual aids that I have are kinda messed up because my printer really does not have any ink and they are messed up, but when exhibition time come it will be in color looking straight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cameron, I have confirmed you for March 5 at 2:15.

    Trinity, in order to go to the dance, FINAL copies must be shown to me -- not the "I still have to fix something" copies. Remember, a visual aid for science does not have to be printed off. You can draw, color, etc. anything by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK tommorrow I will start drawing out the Green Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs.Perez do u still want to buy some girl scout cookies??
    Exhibition times:
    1st: Thursday march 4 @ 1:30pm
    2nd:Wednesday march 3 @ 2:15pm
    3rd:Tuesday march 2 @ 1:30pm

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina -- Thursday at 1:30 is your confirmed time. Yes, I will buy a box of girl scout cookies if its not too late. Bring in your order form when you can okay?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay i will bring the order form in tomorrow or on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mrs.Perez I just got done with my drawing of green hill now I am doing my report on it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs.Perez I am finished re typing the plants part but now I have to re type the history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,Mrs.Perez I am done with everything and is ready to turn in evrerything. Is there school tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Khaila, Trinity, and Ananda -- so glad to hear you are all working so diligently on your work. I'm very proud of your hard work to make sure everything is done well.

    Ananda -- so far I have not heard anything, so as of now, yes, we have school tomorrow. I will write on the blog tomorrow morning if I hear we are closed okay?

    ReplyDelete