Sunday, April 11, 2010

Weekly News

Welcome back! I hope everyone enjoyed their spring break and that you are all ready to finish out the year strong!

This week in Math, we will be starting our geometry unit. We will review all the types of polygons, including the 6 different triangles, and the variety of quadrilaterals. We will also look at transformations (reflections, rotations, translations), angles, and symmetry. We will have a review on how to use a protractor so you can draw and measure angles perfectly. We will end the week by looking at special relationships of parallel lines cut by a transversal (sounds confusing now, but it won't be after Friday!)

In Science we will start our Biology Unit. We will start by looking at different species of animals and the consequences of introducing new species to different environments (introducing a new fish to a pond, for example). Students will complete a project where they will learn about a specific species, and understand how it would impact a different environment from the one it lives in, as well as the other consequences for introducing it to a new environment. Finally, students will begin to learn about the relationships between living organism and the environment those living organisms live in.

In Advisory, students will have their check-in on Monday, for their ELA portion. Once this is complete, it is expected that students are working on their Social Studies portion. At this point, every child should be more than half way through their project (having 3 of the 5 topics complete). It is VERY important that each student keeps up with their work. If they are not up-to-date with their work, it is possible that they will not be able to participate in upcoming field trips!

I'll see everyone tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Mrs.Perez hello how are you I wanted to know are we going to Cass Gardens tomorrow. Also Mrs.Perez I didn't get my math book so I couldn't get started on my math homework. Also Mrs.perez I have all my advisory things and i'm going over my father's house to get started on my social studies/ history. Finally tomorrow are we having pick me up we haven't had it in a while and i was just curious. I will see you tomorrow and have a good night!

    ReplyDelete